Ongoing Boat Maintenance & Improvement
All boats require a lot of work, and when you buy a previously-owned boat, even one in as good condition as Cinq a Sept, it’s even more work. Making her our own, just keeping her in excellent condition, and where possible, updating her and bringing her up to an even better condition, take a lot of work. So it’s not surprising that we’ve been working almost non-stop on the boat getting her ready to leave the USA, go offshore on lengthy passages, and become our home. In fact, we have so many different tasks on our to-do list that we created a spreadsheet just to keep our projects organized.
Here are a few of our boat maintenance and service projects that we have assigned to the professionals.
- Hinckley Yachts in Stuart, Florida replaced our cutlass bearings and rebalanced our propeller shafts. They also applied several fresh coats of premium anti-fouling paint, prop-seal, and shaft savers.
- North Sails cleaned, repaired and restitched our screecher, genoa and spinnaker sails.
- A custom canvas shop in NY restitched all the canvas on the boat, and re-sewed our trampolines with very-expensive-but-I’m-worth-it, UV-protective Gore Tenara threa
- Another specialty shop recovered all the cushions on the boat with new ultra-leather and replaced the isinglass on some of the panels in our cockpit enclosure with a thicker, more scratch and UV resistant product called makrolon that is also less prone to yellowing.
- Authorized technicians serviced and tuned up our engines and generator, going beyond the regular preventive maintenance tasks that Rand and I are doing.
Before After Hinckley Yachts in Stuart, FL under Chuck Ruble‘s experienced direction gave us new antifouling paint on our hull, a new name on our transom, and excellent propeller, shaft & cutlass bearing work. Steve from Superior Diesel in Charleston was very good at Volvo service
out with the yellow, cracked isinglass, trampolines and boat cushions (the old ultraleather was literally in shreds when we boat the boat), and in with the new – done by Elite Fabrications in Huntington NY
|Photos of the Recovered Cushions at Elite Fabrications|
Lookin good !
Will I see you at Annapolis ?
Paul (for Maureen)
Indigo hull #21